How to Become a Rich Programmer
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-19-2018, 04:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2018, 04:47 AM by Agbajowo.)
How to Become a Rich Programmer
1. Lessons from Dennis Ritchie, the Man Behind the UNIX and C
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity — Dennis Ritchie

Dennis Ritchie, Techtricksworld
Back in the days before you could go to college and get a degree in computer programming, Dennis Ritchie managed to get a job working at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Computer Labs were not as picky as they now are, and welcomed practically anyone with the patience to help them work on their room-sized computers.
For someone who started out as an industry outsider, creating both UNIX and the C language — two of the most widely used technologies in computer history — is a big deal. A very big deal.
Here are some of Dennis Ritchie’s accomplishments:
Dennis Ritchie created the C programming language, and co-created the UNIX operating system with his buddy, Ken Thompson.
In 1983 he was a recipient of the Turing Award from the Association of Computing Machinery(ACM)
In 1990, both Ritchie and Thompson received the IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
In 1997 he was made a fellow of the Computer History Museum
He received the National Medal of Technology from President Clinton in 1999
So how would you go about accomplishing all that? And more to the point, how did Dennis Ritchie even learn to write software?
Dennis Ritchie — popularly called the “Father of the C programming language” — was said to be a sweet, kind, unassuming man — and a complete geek!
But he didn’t start out as a geek.
Ritchie was born in New York and grew up in the Garden city, New Jersey. He had a stable childhood, and did well academically.
He went on to study at Harvard University, where he studied science and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Physics.
So when did computers come into Ritchie’s Life?
POINT 1: If you look to be good at writing great software, you’re going to have to stay curious.
I am neither clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious — Albert Einstein
Curiosity fuels the hunger for knowledge. And knowledge my dear, rules the world.
While a student, Ritchie somehow attended a lecture on how the Univac I worked.
The UNIVAC I (Universal Automated Computer I) was the first commercial computer produced in the United States.
Below is what it looked like:

wikipedia
Seriously, what kind of curiosity makes a person seat and actually enjoy a lecture on how that thing works?
Apparently, the kind that makes a great programmer.
After that encounter, Ritchie went on to further study how the computer really worked.
Curiosity kills the cat ?. We all know that, but you’re not a Cat.
POINT 2: I know you’ve heard this before, but Build stuffs. Lots of stuffs.
Instead of focusing on specific projects, I wanted to be around people with a lot of experience and ideas. So I started working on various projects to learn my way around the profession.” — Dennis Ritchie
Make building a lot of projects the product of your curiosity. Translate that curiosity into building different projects — and like Ritchie, this will help you learn your way around the profession.
POINT 3: Hang Around Those you Consider Better and More Experienced.
The obvious reason why you should do this is, you’ll be learning at a much faster pace and wouldn’t get too comfortable with your current knowledge.
This was something else Dennis Ritchie was said to do well.
If you can’t get physically close to the people you consider better and more experienced, the internet is your friend.
Follow them on channels you feel comfortable with. Read their blog posts. Watch their youtube videos. Listen to their podcasts.
Just “stay” around them.
POINT 4: Solve Problems.
“It’s not the actual programming that’s interesting. But it’s what you can accomplish with the end results that are important.” — Dennis Ritchie
Dennis Ritchie lived at a time when computers filled a room, and so did many more. But Ritchie kne

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Ways to Become a Better Programmer Agbajowo 0 60 10-18-2018, 11:25 PM
Last Post: Agbajowo